With Nelson Agholor leaving, who will be the number two wide receiver for the USC Trojans in 2015? The answer might be Steven Mitchell.
Mitchell had a nice day during the Spring Game on Saturday as the USC offense defeated the defense, 37-23 before 22,788 fans at the Coliseum.
USC's offense got on the scoreboard on USC's opening possession as Matt Boermeester nailed a 52-yard field goal. Boermeester is battling for the starting place-kicking duties along with Alex Wood after Andre Heidari graduated.
Cody Kessler hit walk-on wide receiver Christian Tober for a touchdown on Kessler's second offensive possession. The touchdown was set up by a 36-yard competition from Kessler to JuJu Smith. Tober caught his second touchdown on the next series, this time from Max Browne.
Max Browne looked sharp, completing multiple passes in traffic to Mitchell and company. Browne's best possession came on his first possession in the second half with the first-team offense. Browne took the offense 99 yards on the drive that finished with a 15-yard completion for a touchdown to Smith.
Su'a Cravens and Lamar Dawson stood out on defense. Cravens and Dawson both had a tackle for a loss and Dawson was credited with a sack.
- Safety John Plattenburg did not participate in the practice due to an ankle injury. He was spotted on the sideline in a walking boot.
- Some notable Trojan legends in attendance: Tony Boselli, Ronnie Lott, Willie McGinest, Anthony Munoz, and Rodney Peete.
- Leonard Williams also was in attendance to watch his former team.
- Adoree' Jackson suited up with the offense in the first quarter and with the defense in the second.
- Boermeester and Wood combined to make all four of their field goal attempts.
- Cody Kessler sat out most of the second half. He finished the day 8/10 for 123 yards and a touchdown.
Only 21 Saturdays until USC's 2015 opener against Arkansas State.