Watching #1 singles player Steven Johnson defeat Dukes Henrique Cunha (#5 ranked player) 6-4, 6-0, it was like he was just hanging around, then decided to run all over Cunda. This was only the sixth match of the year that Cunda has lost and was the 2nd time he played Johnson (4-6, 3-3 unfinished), in a Feb match at the indoors. This time Johnson put the pedal to the metal and won his 23rd and 63rd match in a row, totally dominating men's NCAA tennis. In the second set Cunda couldn't handle Steves first serves (as a friend of mine said Steves serves were bouncing up to 6' plus up to 130) and then Johnson started owning the returns, along with most of the points played.
But the first player to finish was Danny Nguyen with a 6-3, 6-1 win over Torsten Wietoska who he beat 4&2 back in the Feb. indoor match, Dan is one of USC most reliable players in the NCAA tournament matches. Then Emilo Gomez was then next player to cash in with a 6-4, 6-1 win over Fred Saba, for USC to go up 3-0. Then Duke pulled out a win at #5, but it was Steve Johnson for the final point. USC will face Ucla a 4-2 winner over OSU tomorrow at 5:00 est--2 pac, Plus a word from Danny Nguyen USC academic all district player after the jump.
#1 SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA (31-1) def. #8 DUKE (25-6), 4-1 - Henry Feild Stadium
Head Coaches: Peter Smith (SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA) and Ramsey Smith (DUKE)
1. #2 Steve Johnson/Roberto Quiroz (SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA) def. #16 Henrique Cunha/Chris Mengel (DUKE), 8-4
2. #35 Daniel Nguyen/Ray Sarmiento (SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA) def. David Holland/Fred Saba (DUKE), 8-2
3. Raphael Hemmeler/Torsten Wietoska (DUKE) def. Emilio Gomez/Yannick Hanfmann (SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA), 8-3
1. #1 Steve Johnson (SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA) def. #5 Henrique Cunha (DUKE), 6-4, 6-0
2. #25 Ray Sarmiento (SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA) vs. #38 Chris Mengel (DUKE), 5-7, 3-0, unfinished
3. #21 Daniel Nguyen (SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA) def. #113 Torsten Wietoska (DUKE), 6-3, 6-1
4. #57 Emilio Gomez (SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA) def. Fred Saba (DUKE), 6-4, 6-1
5. Raphael Hemmeler (DUKE) def. #51 Yannick Hanfmann (SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA), 6-3, 6-4
6. Roberto Quiroz (SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA) vs. Jason Tahir (DUKE), 6-2, 4-2, unfinished
Order of Finish